Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this one a while ago in a random internet search. I messed around with the ingredients until I had a cake that made our family happy. It is loaded with pineapple, banana and cherries and the cherry juice gives it a nice pink tint so you could serve it to your sweetheart. I usually make it on the first day of spring (or when I have some bananas that need used up). I hope you enjoy!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) boxed white cake mix (DO NOT get the kind with pudding in it) or boxed yellow cake mix (DO NOT get the kind with pudding in it)
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 2 medium bananas, peeled and mashed
- 10 maraschino cherries, chopped
- 2 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (16 1/4 ounce) can cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl until well combined.
- Divide mixture equally between 2 greased 9" round cake pans.
- Bake on both pans on middle oven rack for approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes then remove cakes from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Place one cake (the "bottom" one) on a plate and frost with cream cheese frosting, taking care to make it heavier on top.
- Place the other cake (the "top" cake) on top of the already frosted cake to create a layer cake.
- Frost the top cake so it blends with the bottom cake and forms a two-tier layer cake.
- NOTE: If the cakes are not flat on the top, use a long knife to cut the "baking bump" off so they are flat BEFORE you frost them. It will give them a more uniform appearance.