Recipe by Ocean~Ivy
A twist on the hot cross buns recipe. I have not tried this yet, but thought someone might like too 8)
Top Review by katew
I made this as a slice instead of muffins and we all loved it - I loved it for being so easy and used fruit mince instead of currants but will try it again with "real" dried fruit.
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 1⁄2 cup melted & cooled butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon, rind of, grated
- 1 cup currants
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange juice or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375° and prepare pans.
- In bowl combine the first 6 ingredients.
- In separate bowl, stir together remaining ingredients except currants.
- Add dry mixture to wet mixture until just combined; stir in currants.
- Spoon into tins.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until done.
- Allow them to cool 5 minutes before removing muffins from pans.
- To make the glaze: Combine ingredients, then drizzle over each muffin to form a cross.