Prep 8 mins
Cook 5 mins
Easy and delicious recipe for Chinese hot and sour soup. It can easily be made vegetarian by leaving off the chicken and substituting vegetable broth.
- 4 -6 dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked
- 4 ounces chicken
- 1 package firm tofu
- 2 ounces sliced bamboo shoots, drained
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with water
- salt (to taste)
- hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- Squeeze all excess water from mushrooms and discard hard stalks.
- Thinly shred the mushrooms, chicken, tofu and bamboo.
- Bring the stock to a boil in a wok and add the shredded ingredients.
- Bring back to a boil and simmer for about 1 minute.
- Add seasonings to taste and bring back to the boil once more.
- Thicken with cornstarch paste.
I loved this, and you're right it is so easy! It's much better than the soup at the Chinese places in my area. I kept tasting it to see how much hot sauce I wanted and I ended up putting 2 tablespoons in. Thanks for a great recipe!