Recipe by Miraklegirl
Easy and delicious recipe for Chinese hot and sour soup. It can easily be made vegetarian by leaving off the chicken and substituting vegetable broth.
Top Review by Shellbelle
I loved this, and you're right it is so easy! It's much better than the soup at the Chinese places in my area. I kept tasting it to see how much hot sauce I wanted and I ended up putting 2 tablespoons in. Thanks for a great recipe!
- 4 -6 dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked
- 4 ounces chicken
- 1 package firm tofu
- 2 ounces sliced bamboo shoots, drained
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with water
- salt (to taste)
- hot pepper sauce (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Squeeze all excess water from mushrooms and discard hard stalks.
- Thinly shred the mushrooms, chicken, tofu and bamboo.
- Bring the stock to a boil in a wok and add the shredded ingredients.
- Bring back to a boil and simmer for about 1 minute.
- Add seasonings to taste and bring back to the boil once more.
- Thicken with cornstarch paste.