Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Central Illinois specialty. We used to order it at the now closed Tropics Restaurant in Lincoln, Illinois on Route 66. This version makes a quick supper, even my 7 year old will eat.
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 6 slices bread
- 6 teaspoons margarine (optional)
- 12 ounces cooked chicken, sliced
- 3 white potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Slice potatoes into french fries and cook in olive oil until nicely browned. Drain on paper towels.
- Make toast with the slices of bread. Spread with butter or margarine if you wish.
- Heat cheese and milk in microwave for 45 seconds, stir. Heat an additional 45 seconds.
- Warm chicken slices in the microwave for 45 seconds. I use leftover roast chicken slices. Ham, roast beef, turkey or hamburger also works great. Shaved meat from the deli can be used, hot or cold.
- Assemble sandwich on plates starting with toast, then chicken, fries and topped with cheese sauce. Serve piping hot. If cheese sauce cools, reheat in microwave.
- Try this with your favorite homemade cheese sauce if you have time.