Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This recipe is just as delicious using any part of the chicken! I have even added in some grape jelly and ketchup to the tomato sauce and couple of seeded jalapeno peppers for heat, you can adjust the sauce to the sweetness that you desire.
Top Review by Siguanas
I used this recipe for a medival feast for 45 hungry children! I used all chicken drumsticks, skin on, and the children gobbled it up in a heart beat. Thank you for another lovely dish!
- 4 -5 lbs chicken legs (skin on or off)
- seasoning salt
- oil (for frying)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 medium green bell peppers, seeded and sliced (optional)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (or to taste) (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 -4 teaspoons paprika
- hot pepper sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Season chicken legs with seasoning salt and pepper.
- In a fry pan with oil, brown the chicken legs on all sides.
- Place the chicken legs in a greased casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with chopped onions and garlic (if using).
- In a bowl combine all remaining ingredients; mix well, and then pour over the chicken (mix slightly to coat the chicken legs).
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40-45 minutes, or until the chicken legs are done.
- *Note* if you find that the sauce is too thin at the end of cooking, place the chicken in a large bowl, and transfer the sauce to a saucepan to boil down and reduce slightly for about 30 minutes.