Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is my own version of my mom's recipe, tweaked to suit my (and my husband's) taste. We prefer this tomato broth instead of adding beef broth, but I suppose that would work, too. You can also add fresh veggies- I used canned because I always have the right combination on hand. There's nothing better than coming home on a cold day and smelling this soup!
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 2 (20 ounce) cans Veg-All, homestyle (large chunks of mixed veggies)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can corn
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato sauce (or equal amount ketchup)
- 1 lb stew meat, cut into chunks (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- Place stew meat in bottom of crockpot, add dried onion and Mrs.
- Dump in the canned vegetables and tomato sauce, top with cilantro.
- Fill the crockpot the rest of the way with water.
- Cover and cook on low all day (8 hours or more).
This is a delicious soup! I agree that the tomato base is excellent and I don't think I would prefer another type of broth instead. This smelled wonderful when I walked through the door and the taste was just as good. Perfect to come home to on a chilly, rainy day. The only thing better than the taste was the simplicity! Thanks for a great recipe.