Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my own version of my mom's recipe, tweaked to suit my (and my husband's) taste. We prefer this tomato broth instead of adding beef broth, but I suppose that would work, too. You can also add fresh veggies- I used canned because I always have the right combination on hand. There's nothing better than coming home on a cold day and smelling this soup!
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 2 (20 ounce) cans Veg-All, homestyle (large chunks of mixed veggies)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can corn
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato sauce (or equal amount ketchup)
- 1 lb stew meat, cut into chunks (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- Place stew meat in bottom of crockpot, add dried onion and Mrs.
- Dump in the canned vegetables and tomato sauce, top with cilantro.
- Fill the crockpot the rest of the way with water.
- Cover and cook on low all day (8 hours or more).
This is a delicious soup! I agree that the tomato base is excellent and I don't think I would prefer another type of broth instead. This smelled wonderful when I walked through the door and the taste was just as good. Perfect to come home to on a chilly, rainy day. The only thing better than the taste was the simplicity! Thanks for a great recipe.