Recipe by * Pamela *
My mother's recipe for pizza sauce, slightly adapted.
Top Review by ~cbw~
This was my first attempt at homemade sauce and I was very happy with the ease of the recipe and the results. I used all the optional ingredients except for the onions, but found it to be just a little 'tomatoey' for our tastes, so I also added about a tbsp. of sugar and some italian seasonings, which made it perfect for us! I won't be buying pizza sauce anymore! Thanks for a great recipe!
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
- (Use Tabasco sauce and red pepper flakes if you want more zip to your sauce!) Bring to a boil.
- Simmer gently for 20-30 minutes.
- Simmering improves the flavour, but if you're in a hurry you can skip that step.
- Just use a bit less water and mix well.
- Use in your favourite pizza recipe.