Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mother's recipe for pizza sauce, slightly adapted.
Make and share this Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
- (Use Tabasco sauce and red pepper flakes if you want more zip to your sauce!) Bring to a boil.
- Simmer gently for 20-30 minutes.
- Simmering improves the flavour, but if you're in a hurry you can skip that step.
- Just use a bit less water and mix well.
- Use in your favourite pizza recipe.
This was my first attempt at homemade sauce and I was very happy with the ease of the recipe and the results. I used all the optional ingredients except for the onions, but found it to be just a little 'tomatoey' for our tastes, so I also added about a tbsp. of sugar and some italian seasonings, which made it perfect for us! I won't be buying pizza sauce anymore! Thanks for a great recipe!
This worked great! Well, i did doctor it up a bit adding both more onions and garlic and substititing canned chopped tomatoes for the water. I liked the addition of the Worcestershire sauce. Loved it. We make alot of homemade pizza and i hate to use the premade pizza sauce--tastes so articial. this was just like a pizza parlor sauce!!! THanks for the great recipe!
This was excellent! I will never buy pizza sauce again. This is so quick and easy to do. I put all the ingredients in. And I also added a Tbsp. of sugar, for some sweetness. I figured the kids wouldn't like the homemade sauce, but when I went back to get another slice, all the pizza was gone!