Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
The VERY BEST mac 'n cheese recipe I have found. Cheesy and creamy, I like to use the extra sharp cheddar cheese. I have also used this recipe as the base for mac n' cheese casseroles with added meats and veggies for potlucks.
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 lb Velveeta cheese, cut up
- 1 cup kraft shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked, drained
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F.
- Mix milk and eggs in large bowl.
- Add butter, red pepper, prepared cheese product and cheddar cheese.
- Stir in macaroni; mix lightly.
- POUR into 1-1/2-quart casserole.
- BAKE 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on top.
- Bake for 5 more minutes.
This is my new Mac and cheese recipe!! Easy and delicious.
This was so very, very good. I made a couple of smallish changes. 1. I used a 16 oz. bag of trio italiano pasta rather than 2 cups of elbows (I had to feed 2 growing teenage boys!). 2. My can of evap. milk was 12 oz. - I whippped the milk with the eggs and cayenne in my magic bullet to really combine them well. 3. I used 8 oz. of colby cheese since that was what I had open already plus the valveeta. 4. I added a bit of melted butter to the cracker crumbs rather than use bread crumbs and didn't put them on till the very end and browned them under the broiler. This was truly excellent mac and cheese and my kids couldn't get enough of it - the pan was practically licked clean! Thanks for a winner! A
Nummy! My DD was having a bad day, so I wanted to make her favorite comfort food and thought I'd try to skinny this up with lighter ingredients. It was great with skim evaporated milk, 2% Velveeta and 2% cheddar shreds. I used only a few shakes of cayenne to keep it mild. This is a winner. Thanks Tina!