Prep 672 hrs
Cook 0 mins
A wonderful addition to any cook's pantry, this lavender infused vinegar is easy to make and adds a certain j' nés quoi to any savoury dish. Use it in my Lavender Mayonnaise or to flavour a salad dressing – all the lavender taste but not the chewy lavender buds! This vinegar retains not only the flavour of the lavender, but also the fragrance too. If you have the lavender bushes, it is worth making a few bottles of this, it will enliven any drear winter’s day and makes a great gift for a foodie friend. This is a Francis Bissell recipe, from a great little cookbook that my daughter bought for me this Mother’s Day!
- 4 (350 ml) bottles white wine vinegar
- 20 sprigs of freshly picked lavender
- Place five sprigs of lavender in each bottle. Close the bottles again and leave them in a sunny place for four weeks. If you still have fresh lavender halfway through the maturation process, replace the lavender in the bottles with fresh sprigs.
- For long term storage, store in a cool, dry and dark place. Last for up to 2 or 3 years.
- Use in salad dressings, mayonnaise, marinades, dips and spreads.