Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is so easy to make. I've also used broccoli and am planning to try asparagus. I love this recipe-it's so quick!
- 16 ounces frozen chopped spinach (or fresh)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules (or 3 cubes)
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan combine water and spinach.
- Cook till tender; do not drain.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter on medium low heat.
- Stir in flour until smooth.
- Whisk in hot milk and bouillon.
- Cook until beginning to thicken, then add spinach mixture.
- Season to taste.
- I sometimes add allspice instead of the garlic in the winter months.
This is fabulous! I used fresh spinach and homemade chicken stock instead of the water, and omitted the chicken bouillon. Also, I used a hand blender to make it an actual cream soup -- the recipe never says to do this.
We would give this 10 stars we loved it.It was quick and easy.We made a double batch and used 8 bouillon cubes.We ate it all at one sitting.Thank you for the great recipe.
A restaurant-quality soup made quickly and inexpensively at home. This was fantastic!!! So much for so little effort. Thanks a million for the posting!