Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
These caramels melt in your mouth,not overly sweet....This recipe came about because, I had 1/2 a can of evaporated milk leftover from another recipe and I wanted to use it up,you may double recipe for a whole can..
- 1⁄2 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1 1⁄8 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 6 ounces evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- In heavy saucepan melt butter.
- Add brown sugar and salt, stir in corn syrup. Mix well.
- Stirring constantly add milk gradually.
- Stir over medium heat until candy reaches soft ball stage--242°F.
- Remove from heat,add vanilla.
- Pour into buttered 8x8-inch dish.
- Cool for 4-6 hours.
- Cut into small squares and wrap in wax paper.
- Note:It took approximately 25 minutes of stirring and cooking to reach soft ball stage. Also I refrigerated the candy.
These are so creamy and not too sweet, I have trouble eating just one.