Recipe by Knitting Granny
This tastes so much better than any canned or frozen Beef-A-Roni, and it's so easy to make! This recipe makes a lot and I freeze individual portions for quick lunches/dinners down the road. If you don't want such a large quantity, the recipe is easily halved. Oh, and P.S. - as with most recipes of this type, it tastes even better the second day!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef (or use ground turkey or even ground chicken)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped (or press through a garlic press)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, whirled in blender for just a few seconds (should resemble "chunky" tomato juice)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons kosher salt (if using table salt, use about 1 tsp.)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 3⁄4 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook ground meat in a large Dutch oven type pot over medium heat, breaking meat apart during cooking.
- Drain off any accumulated grease or fat.
- Add and stir in onion, garlic, salt, chili powder, tomatoes and chicken broth.
- Cook about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is no longer "crunchy".
- Stir in the macaroni and continue cooking for about 12 minutes or until pasta is just al dente.
- Turn off the heat so macaroni doesn't contine to cook and get all mushy.