Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
its a yummy mustard, cans easily, and would make great gifts even after you keep enough for yourself. Prep does not include standing time
- Place dry mustard in a bowl, add vinegar and rum. Do not stir. Cover and let stand 5 - 12 hours.
- Place mustard mixture in the top of double boiler, or in a bowl set on top of an inverted bowl in bottom of big pot with water half way up bottom one (my home made double boiler). Water should be hot but not boiling.
- Add eggs one at a time, whisking completely after each.
- Gradually whisk in sugar until smooth, beat in butter, salt and pepper and cook until thick, about 5 minutes.
- *DO NOT OVERCOOK OR EGGS WILL CURDLE*.
- spoon into sterilized jars and seal. Store in refridgerator until ready to use.
Wonderful! Made this after receiving my first homemade mustard from friend who refused to give me her recipe. LOL! Think yours is even better. Mine did curdle so pushed it through sieve to get out the lumps. Am guessing that the water was hotter than it should have been but honestly it was only tiny bubbles. I don't can so am refrigerating it. Thank you MarraMamba for sharing.
I made this mustard today to give away as Christmas gifts in a food bsasket. Bother and my wife loved the mustard and I am not a mustard fan. I double the recipe which makes alot but I quadrupled the rum. I wanted to be able to taste the rum. This is a keeper.
WOW! The dark rum really added a special pop to this mustard. I agree that this would make wonderful gifts....if you really want to give some away. Thanks for a great recipe!