Recipe by Saraheliz56
When I was younger, I found this recipe in a Children's Betty Crocker Cookbook and its stuck with me ever since! Over the years I've made a few changes, but its just as delicious as ever! A nice recipe because most people have American cheese in their house lying around - you don't have to go to the store and buy expensive fancy cheeses!
Top Review by loof
This is a very nice mac-n-cheese recipe, and you've gotta love comfort food that you can put together quickly with ingredients that are always on hand! So much better than a boxed mix and really not much more effort than that. I topped mine with a little smoked paprika and really enjoyed - thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for Spring Pick-A-Chef 2013
- 1 (16 ounce) box elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 -6 garlic cloves
- 2 cups milk
- 10 -12 pieces American cheese
- basil (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put a medium pot of water on to boil. When boiling, add the elbow macaroni and cook for the amount of time the box requires.
- While the pasta is boiling, combine the butter, finely chopped garlic, and flour in a small to medium size sauce pan on medium heat. When the butter is completely melted and the mixtures forms a very loose dough remove from heat. Add salt, pepper, and milk. Return to medium-high heat and whisk until everything is well combined. Keep stirring occasionally until the mixture begins to boil.
- When the mixture begins boiling, slowly add a few pieces of cheese at a time and whisk until melted. Continue this process until all of the cheese is melted. If you like basil, you can add some at this time.
- Drain the pasta and return back to the pot. Then add cheese mixture. Stir and serve!