Recipe by Chef Kayce
A great recipe my mother developed years ago and one I still use for summer grill-outs; as part of an Antipasto plate; or, as one of a group of hors d'oeuvre. They are marinated mushrooms with a nice tangy flavor. They are best prepared a day or two ahead (though can be prepared 3-4 hours ahead of time - just not as much flavor is absorbed).
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs mushrooms, rinsed and trimmed
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 stalk celery, washed and cut into large pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and pierced
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 10 -12 black peppercorns (or a blend)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a 2-quart saucepan.
- Over medium heat, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Once cool, pour in a bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain well and serve.
- NOTE: If you don't want to use all of them at one time; put them in a plastic container with a lid. Remove what you need with a slotted spoon. The rest will be fine in the refrigerator for up to a month.