Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
After seeing this idea floating around the web, I thought I'd experiment a little. Three simple ingredients, no sugar added, no ice cream machine needed... How much healthier and easier could it get? This "ice cream" is smooth like soft serve and naturally sweet. Plus it has the potential for so many add-ins (dark chocolate chips, chopped strawberries, nuts... just to name a few). Please note "Cooking Time" includes time needed to cure in the freezer. If you are as excited as my 4-year-old was to eat this "ice cream", you may choose to serve it directly after turning out of the food processor instead of freezing for 2-4 hours, but please be aware that it will be soft and melt much faster. My daughter, the best taste-tester around, approves, and I hope you do too!
- 4 bananas, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup milk (or coconut milk, soy milk or almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Slice bananas and arrange in one layer onto a parchment or wax paper lined cookie sheet. Freeze for 2 hours.
- Into a 5-quart capacity food processor, using the chopping blade, place banana slices. Pulse for a few seconds at a time until a course crumb texture is reached.
- Add milk and vanilla. Continue processing, occasionally scraping the sides of the processor bowl with a rubber spatula, until mixture reaches a creamy, smooth soft-serve consistency.
- With a spatula, turn "ice cream" into a freezer container. Cover and freeze for 2-4 hours or until desired texture is reached.
I've seen recipes for this all over, but didn't save any, so I was glad to find this on Food.com. I made it and boy was it trial and error. I didn't slice the bananas before freezing. Mistake number one. They were so hard to chop. It came out rather gooey, so I froze it. I was surprised at the texture. It was still good after freezing. However, the taste just didn't do it for me. I ended up mixing strawberries in it, and a little pineapple, and then I liked it enough to eat it. Not the recipe's fault, but I won't do this again.
Just made this... Very easy and fun!