Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of my DH's favorite side dish casseroles! You can double this recipe and bake in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. For another favorite hash brown casserole see The Best One-Bowl Hash Brown Potato Casserole
- 4 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, divided
- black pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped, divided
- 10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled, divided
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, divided (can use more cheese)
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons salt (I use seasoning salt)
- black pepper
- parmesan cheese
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 8x8-inch baking dish.
- Layer HALF of the hash brown potatoes in the bottom of the dish, then sprinkle with black pepper, then HALF of the chopped onion, then HALF of the cooked bacon, then half of the cheddar cheese.
- Repeat the layers.
- In a small bowl combine the egg with evaporated milk and seasoning salt and pepper; pour evenly over the potato mixture.
- Top/sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese (any amount desired).
- Cover with foil and bake for about 45-50 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes (at this point you can sprinkle grated cheddar cheese on top if desired and return to oven).
- Let sit for about 10-15 minutes before slicing.
We liked this because it tasted good, but I can't honestly give it four or five stars. It's an easy, but ordinary hash brown casserole. They all taste the same to me; this was no exception.
Delicious!! I made this for our Sunday School one morning, there were no leftovers. I even was asked for the recipe. It is really easy and tastes great!!
I picked this recipe because of LonghornMama's review that said it wasn't soupy. She was right on. It was really good. I used bread crumbs on top instead of parmesan cheese. I'll definitely make it again, with less onion (personal taste) and maybe some more bacon (it doesn't need it, I just like bacon).