Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
When I lived in another state at another time -- my now teen boys used to be in Head Start. (This was oh -- 9 yrs ago??) ANYWAY! The director made this wonderful soup that the kids loved. It's easy, its fast.. and its good.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 lbs frozen mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, peas, green beans)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes
- 1 -3 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon season salt (or less)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 cup sugar
- 3 -5 cups water
- Brown ground beef in a large sauce pan and drain off the fat.
- Add all the ingredients except the water and gently stir.
- Add water until it covers the soup mixture, stirring and adding up to the 5 cups until its got a good consistency. Simmer up to 45 minutes.
I can't believe how much my kids enjoyed this simple soup. The only change I made was to use canned mixed vegetables. Made for Spring PAC 2009.
Very good and easy to make. I followed the recipe as written other then I didn't add the sugar- we didn't think it needed it. I used one teaspoon of onion powder and the full teaspoon of season salt. I used 4 cups of beef broth instead of the water. I also let mine simmer for about two hours. Hubby thought it needed pepper and more salt. This was a nice hearty, thick soup that we all enjoyed. I liked it too as it uses items I normally have on hand.