Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This can be a do ahead casserole just pour the ingredients into a casserole dish before you do the final 20 minute simmer and then pop it into a 350F oven 25-30 minutes before serving - put some buttered crumbs on top - I like to serve it over noodles or add cooked macaroni to it for the final simmer - I treat this as a good basic casserole that is tasty as is or even better with your creative touch
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- spray vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped (or less)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (or more)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans kernel corn or 4 ears fresh corn, cooked
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (Ilike to use Italian flavored)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Brown the beef on the sprayed pan, add onions, garlic, chile powder& crushed red pepper flakes.
- Stir until onions are softened and the burger is browned.
- Mix cornstarch with the beef broth add to the pan.
- Add tomatoes mix well& simmer until thickened add corn mix and continue simmering for approz 20 minutes Season with salt& pepper.
What a quick and easy recipe for a weeknight (and economical, too). A real family pleaser. DH and DS had huge second helpings and suggested that I not lose this recipe! Always a good sign.... I served it over macaroni. You're right, it's a perfect recipe to vary a bit whenever you make it - maybe some bell pepper, maybe some beans instead of macaroni, etc., etc. This is a keeper.
Just whipped this up for my dinner and it is fantastic! It'll be my lunch for throughout the week and if I'm not sick of it by then (and I doubt I will be) another quick, cheap and delicious make ahead meal will emerge in my rotation. Thanks!
This was delicious! I served it over penne pasta, but it was just perfect for me on its own. I did add some italian seasoning to the mix- you had written you liked to use italian flavored diced tomatoes, so I made my own! Also, after cooking the ground beef, I did drain it a little as there was a lot of extra liquid. We will be making this again!