This recipe came with King Arthur's hamburger bun pan I purchased. Not as super soft as store bought buns, but I like these much better. I use my automatic bread machine (ABM) to make these using the dough cyle for kneading and forming them separately. If you are using the ABM, you can add all ingredients in the machine while it heats up except the milk/butter mixture. When it starts to knead, add the milk/butter mixture in and let the machine complete the dough cycle and proceed with step 3.
- Warm the milk and butter together just until the butter starts to melt.
- Place all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl. (I use my bread maker dough cycle here). Stir to combine, then knead the dough until it's smooth and elastic, about 10-15 minute. Add a bit of additional flour or water if needed.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning to coat all sides. Cover it with lightly greased plastic wrap, and let the dough rise until it's doubled in bulk.
- Turn the dough out onto a lighly floured work surface and divide it into six pieces. Roll each piece into a smooth ball and place it in the lightly greased pan.
- Cover the pan let the buns rest for 10 min, then press each to flatten the top. Cover and let it rise until puffy, about 1 hour.
- Mix beaten egg white with 1 T water.
- Just before baking, brush with the egg white water mixture and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake the buns in a preheated 375 F degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a rack before slicing in half horizontally.
These were very simple, quick, and better than any store bought buns, I put the onions in the dough and it just makes the bun taste like heaven
I really liked these buns, especially because they were easy, and took less than two hours. I liked the texture and the color after they came out of the oven. With the leftover buns, we ate them the next morning for breakfast with jelly, Just as good the next day (you can toast them on a griddle if you like that texture).
These turned out perfectly! So easy to make and delicious too. Love the dense yet airy texture. I will never buy another packaged bun again! Thanks for sharing your great keeper recipe.