Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a replica of a main dish often served in our high school cafeteria (Go Spartans!). Easy, tasteful and filling, these are one of my hubby’s most requested meals. I use the cheesy garlic biscuit mix by Bisquick. Sometimes I use a can of tomato soup rather than mushroom just for a change. I like to serve these with mashed or fried potatoes and green beans.
- 1 (7 3/4 ounce) package Bisquick baking mix
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion (optional)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can mushroom soup
- seasoning salt
- chili powder (optional)
- beef bouillon (optional)
- Follow directions on biscuit mix package to make dough. Brown hamburger with onions and salt and pepper to taste preference. Mix 1/2 or a little more of meat into dough. Kneed to mix well. Bake as directed on biscuit mix package.
- Meanwhile mix soup and 3/4 can milk and remaining cooked hamburger and cook till throughly warm. This sauce can be thinned to your preference by adding more milk. For a more meaty flavor, add a little beef bouillon but be careful as it will become more salty.
- Serve hot biscuits smothered with sauce and sprinkled lightly with chili powder.
I guess that I'm just stuck on traditional white sausage or burger gravy with biscuit's that I grew up with. I made from scratch biscuits and then followed the recipe including the onions and beef base. I think that it was the mushroom soup that threw me off and, unfortunately, this fell short of my expectation. It is certainly not a bad recipe at all and I did like it, I just didn't love it.
i started with the idea and then put my own spin on it. in lieu of the ground beef, i used 4 morningstar farms black bean burgers that i microwaved and crumbled up and i also used some shredded cheddar cheese (about 1/2 cup). for the mushroom gravy, i added another three spicy black bean burgers, some salsa (not sure how much i had left in the jar) and about 1/2 cup shredded cheddar (maybe a little bit more (it was a handful) and used rice milk (that's all i had on hand) and cooked until the cheese was melted. it was a huge hit in my family. am going to try it next time with vegi sausage and feel like i am having sausage biscuits and gravy -- thanks for the inspiration
This was really good! Super easy and way cheap. If you are on a budget and want something quick, filling and tasty this is the meal for you. Thanks for a great recipe.