Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an easy dish to make that is great served at any time of day. I sometimes crumble some crispy bacon in there for even more flavour variety! It has a nice zing to it due to the spices but is not overpowering.
- 6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup ham, shredded
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until sizzling.
- Add cubed potatoes and the last six ingredients to pan.
- Fry potatoes until golden brown and fork tender, stirring occasionally.
- Then add the butter and diced onion. Mix.
- When the onion has softened slightly, add the ham to the pan and mix again to combine.
- Once heated through sprinkle the cheese over hash.
- Serve when cheese has melted.
My husband said, "Mom gets an A." I added a few pepperoni rounds that were hanging out in our meat drawer, and added minced garlic, as well.
Quick, easy and very tasty! Great on it's own. Would be fabulous with an egg on top, soft yolk, of course. The cheese is not needed. There is plenty of flavor without it and it does not really add to it.
Very good! Left our the cayenne pepper so the little ones would eat it.