Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a quick and easy dinner to prepare after work. My adaptation of a recipe from "Reader's Digest."
- 170.09 g egg noodles, wide
- 22.18 ml flour
- 4.92 ml mustard, dry
- 1.23 ml sage, dried,and crumbled
- 0.59 ml nutmeg, ground
- 0.59 ml black pepper
- 354.88 ml skim milk
- 170.09 g ham, reduced fat
- 236.59 ml peas, frozen,thawed and drained
- 22.18 ml croutons, fat free,crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the noodles using the directions on the package, omitting the salt.
- In a medium-size bowl combine the flour, mustard, sage, nutmeg, and pepper; slowly whisk in the milk and set aside.
- Combine cooked, and drained noodles with the ham and peas.
- Add the milk mixture and stir well.
- Spoon into an ungreased 1 1/2 quart casserole; sprinkle with the crutons.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake 10 minutes longer until bubbly and lightly browned.
The flavour of this dish was mild, yet tasty. I made it for my husband and 2 year old, who gobbled it up. I used whole wheat pasta instead of egg noodles since that was what I had on hand. I also topped it with a little bit of grated parmesan cheese. The only thing I was disappointed in was that the sauce was really runny. I think maybe using more flour would be beneficial since we ended up with a pool of sauce at the bottom of the baking dish.