Recipe by the_cookie_lady
This is from the November 2006 issue of All*You Magazine. You could use leftover ham from Thanksgiving (because I know a lot of people who forego the turkey in favor of a spiral ham).
Top Review by moesart3
Last night I made this but with the following substitutions: did not pre-cook wide egg noodles, used half 'n half instead of heavy cream, thickened with flour instead of cornstarch, used fresh asparagus cut in 1" chunks, broken-up melba toasts instead of pretzels and a 1/2 cup grated manchego instead of cheddar. It came down to what was on hand! It is very easy and good!
- 3 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen baby peas (2 1/2 c)
- 4 ounces boiled ham, cut into small cubes (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pretzel
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly butter a 1 1/2- to 2-quart baking dish.
- Cook noodles according to the package directions and drain in collander; do not rinse noodles.
- While noodles cook, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, add onion and cook, stirring, until softened (about 5 minutes). Stir milk and cornstarch together in a large cup; whisk into saucepan with onion and cook, whisking, until boiling. Whisk in cream and continue to cook, whisking, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir noodles, peas, ham and salt into sauce mixture, season with pepper and scrape into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle pretzels and Cheddar on top and bake until bubbly and golden on top (about 20 minutes).