Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
In lieu of fruit cakes we like to give these to friends. Most of the preparation time is in chopping the gumdrops. If you can find miniatures, you'll be way ahead. We omit the black gumdrops.
- 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 cups chopped nuts
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 lb gumdrop (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Dissolve the baking soda in the buttermilk.
- Mix remaining ingredients together well.
- Add baking soda/buttermilk to mixture and mix well.
- Place into two small loaf pans.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 2 1/2 hours.
Oh yeah, it feels like christmas at grandmas house! Big time flash back! Very moist and flavorful loaf cakes. YUMMY!!! Thanks!