Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Tastes like Louisiana, but not as complicated. =)
Make and share this Easy Gumbo recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 whole rotisserie-cooked chicken
- 2 stalks celery (Chopped)
- 2 carrots (Chopped)
- 1 white onion (Chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 dried basil leaves
- To make roux: Combine Flour and Vegetable Oil in a medium to large saucepan on low heat.
- Stirring Frequently, allow flour/oil combination cook until medium brown. This could take up to 2 hours.
- While waiting for the roux to cook, pour chicken broth into a large pot and heat to a boil.
- Cut or tear all of the meat from the rotisserie chicken into bite size pieces and place it into the boiling chicken broth.
- Add celery, carrots, onion, Tabasco sauce, cayenne pepper, add basil leaves to chicken and broth.
- Allow soup mixture to boil for about 1/2 an hour stirring frequently.
- Lower heat of soup.
- Once roux has reached a brown color, combine the roux with soup to make gumbo!
- Bring gumbo to a boil for 10 minutes.
- Lower heat.
- Serve over rice.
This was more of a soup recipe than a gumbo recipe to me. Being from Louisiana, this doesn't really compare with gumbo, but it did have a nice flavor.