From the Texas Beef Council posted for the Greek portion of the Zaar World Tour. Feel free to up the seasonings on the beef if you like it really flavorful. As Saraghina states, leftover roast would be great here too!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 4 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 8 small pita pocket bread, cut in half, warmed (4-inch diameter)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2⁄3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup cucumber, chopped
- 3 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- In small bowl, combine Yogurt Sauce ingredients, mixing well. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- In medium bowl, combine ground beef and seasoning ingredients, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Divide beef mixture into 16 equal portions and shape into patties 2 inches in diameter.
- Place patties on rack in broiler pan.
- Bake in oven 10 minutes or until no longer pink OR GRILL over medium heat.
- To serve, place equal amounts of beef and tomato in each pita half; top with yogurt sauce.