Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
To make it easy, purchase prepared refrigerated pizza dough or use your own favorite pizza dough recipe. You can cut this complete recipe in half to make 4 turnovers. Cooking the spinach in the microwave firstly is only optional, I prefer to use cooked spinach rather than raw, cooking it first will mellow out the strong taste of the spinach, if you do not mind a strong taste then omit this step. I have made this many times using puff pastry in place of the pizza dough!
Top Review by Mandiana
Excellent! 4 out of 5 in my family agree that this is something we have to eat again :) The brushed egg made them absolutely beautiful. The only change I would make next time would be to make larger slits in the top.
- 4 large eggs
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 1⁄2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- black pepper (or use cayeene pepper)
- 2 (10 ounce) tubes refrigerated pizza dough (or use you favorite pizza dough recipe)
- 1 small egg, slightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the two packages thawed spinach in a microwave-safe bowl with about 1/2 cup water in the bottom of the bowl, and microwave on HIGH for 8 minutes; cool to almost room temperature, then squeeze all of the moisture out of the spinch with your hands (to speed the cooling process up just run the spinach under cold water).
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until blended, then add in squeezed spinach, feta cheese, garlic and black pepper; mix well to combine.
- Unfold the prepared pizza dough onto prepared baking sheet and gently stretch to a 11-inch square.
- Cut into 4 equal squares, repeat with the remaining tube of pizza dough.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of the filling into the center of each square.
- Fold one corner of each square over the filling to the opposite corner (forming a triangle).
- Press dough edges together tightly with a fork to seal.
- With a shap knife cut 2 or 3 small slits in the top of each turnover to allow steam to escape.
- Beat the small egg in a cup then brush over the tops of the turnover.
- Bake until the filling is cooked through and the tops of the turnovers are golden brown (about 15 minutes).