Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
The ingredients look long, but it's a classic store/cupboard sort of standby, cames from a favourite recipe book "tastes of the Aegean" and is an excellent one pot, whole meal, tasty potato dish... I make double and freeze half for an easy after work dinner for those days when you want something hearty but can't really be bothered, or vegetarian potluck dinners... Enjoy !
- 1⁄2 kg potato
- 1 medium onion
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 3 ripe tomatoes or 400 g canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups water
- Chop the onion finely and sauté in the olive oil.
- Cut the potatoes into slices, add them and the lemon juice to the onions and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add half of the water and all the rest of the ingredients and simmer until the potatoes are done (adding the rest of the water if necessary) and until the sauce has reduced.
- *Note* I notice that it depends on the brand of canned tomatoes, but if I use certain brands there is a lot of "juice" and so I omit the water from the recipe because otherwise the sauce becomes too thin.
- Another *note* the original recipe calls for 1 1/12 cups of olive oil, but I cut it down to just half a cup to make things healthier.
- Also, cooking time varies with variety of potato and size of your slices, I've given an estimate.
Takes forever to cook,I kept adding water, I think it took total of 1 hr to cook,by that time potato slices( which i cut really thin) lost their shape and turned into a mashed potato with tomato sause. My husband liked the taste,but it was too simple for me. 4 stars for taste and only 3 for appearance. The photo inculded with this recipe must have been taken undercooked.
This is a favorite with my vegetarian daughter, though the rest of the family doesn't like it quite as much. I'm among the many who recommend cutting back on the oil to about 1/4 C. It is easy to put together, and pretty tasty.
I didn't add any oil, and I wasn't missing anything! I just sauted in water like normal. Cut the potatoes really thin, mine took forever to cook, but it was worth it. Leftovers were really tasty too.