Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
adapted from the alton brown granola bar recipe
Make and share this Easy Granola Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 8 ounces quick oats
- 4 1⁄2 ounces mixed nuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 ounce wheat germ
- 1⁄2 ounce almond meal
- 1⁄2 ounce flax seed meal
- 6 ounces honey
- 1 ounce maple syrup
- 1 ounce peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 1⁄2 ounces raisins or 6 1⁄2 ounces other dried fruit
- Toast the oats, nuts, wheat germ, almond meal, and flaxseed meal in a 35o oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt peanut butter, honey, syrup, and vanilla in a medium heat saucepan, stirring until the peanut butter is melted. Allow to boil at least one minute, more if you are substituting flavored syrup for honey.
- Remove oat mixture from oven, reduce heat in oven to 300, dump oat mixture in large bowl. Add dried fruit and mix with liquid mixture. If you are substituting chocolate or other flavored chips for fruit, mix the liquid with the oatmeal mix first, allowing to cool a bit before adding to chips to prevent them from melting.
- Spread into buttered/greased 13x9 pan. Place a piece of foil or waxed paper on top, and then put another 13x9 pan on top. Press firmly and pack into place. I typically stand on the pans to crush it as flat as I can.
- Bake in 350 oven for 25 minutes. Allow to cool completely before cutting.
- Can store in airtight container for up to a week.