Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Gourmet comfort food. Super yummy, impressive enough to serve guests, uniquely decadent. This is not your average macaroni and cheese. Perfect along side simply prepared chicken or chops.
- Heat 8 cups water to boil for noodles. When water boils, add noodles and cook about 1 minute less than package directs. Drain.
- Put oil and onion into saucepan. Stir to coat onion with oil. Add water, cover and sweat the onions over medium-low heat until they wilt and become sweet. Stir occasionally. Do not allow onions to brown.
- Fry bacon in large deep pot over medium heat until golden. Spoon onto papter towels to drain. Set aside.
- Drain the bacon fat from the pot, but do not wash.
- Add milk to bacon cooking pot and heat to simmer.
- Add cheese spread and whisk until cheese melts and mixture is smooth.
- Add mozzarella. Stir in figure 8 pattern (keeps it from balling up on the spoon) until cheese melts and mixture is smooth.
- Add onions to cheese mixture and stir gently.
- Add noodles and turn until well coated.
- Pour into serving dish.
- Top with bacon and serve.
I was so glad to find this recipe, as I had a container of cheese spread sitting in my fridge leftover from a dinner party. It was basically full, and I was worried it wouldn't get eaten. I made your recipe essentially as-written, but I used whole-grain noodles instead of regular egg noodles and vegan bacon (personal preferences that don't usually affect overall flavor). I had to use a little more milk to get the sauce to a saucy consistency, but I'd say no more than 1/2-3/4 cup extra. If I made this again, I think I'd also add a few more onions... or maybe the one I used just wasn't large enough? Some roasted garlic would also be a nice addition, but not necessary. In general this was a unique, and really tasty combination - thank you for the idea!