Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Gourmet comfort food. Super yummy, impressive enough to serve guests, uniquely decadent. This is not your average macaroni and cheese. Perfect along side simply prepared chicken or chops.
- Heat 8 cups water to boil for noodles. When water boils, add noodles and cook about 1 minute less than package directs. Drain.
- Put oil and onion into saucepan. Stir to coat onion with oil. Add water, cover and sweat the onions over medium-low heat until they wilt and become sweet. Stir occasionally. Do not allow onions to brown.
- Fry bacon in large deep pot over medium heat until golden. Spoon onto papter towels to drain. Set aside.
- Drain the bacon fat from the pot, but do not wash.
- Add milk to bacon cooking pot and heat to simmer.
- Add cheese spread and whisk until cheese melts and mixture is smooth.
- Add mozzarella. Stir in figure 8 pattern (keeps it from balling up on the spoon) until cheese melts and mixture is smooth.
- Add onions to cheese mixture and stir gently.
- Add noodles and turn until well coated.
- Pour into serving dish.
- Top with bacon and serve.
I was so glad to find this recipe, as I had a container of cheese spread sitting in my fridge leftover from a dinner party. It was basically full, and I was worried it wouldn't get eaten. I made your recipe essentially as-written, but I used whole-grain noodles instead of regular egg noodles and vegan bacon (personal preferences that don't usually affect overall flavor). I had to use a little more milk to get the sauce to a saucy consistency, but I'd say no more than 1/2-3/4 cup extra. If I made this again, I think I'd also add a few more onions... or maybe the one I used just wasn't large enough? Some roasted garlic would also be a nice addition, but not necessary. In general this was a unique, and really tasty combination - thank you for the idea!