Recipe by Tee Lee
This hearty, healthy meal is quick to make with items on hand. Ground beef is cooked in a tomato sauce with kidney beans and vegetables, then mixed with macaroni. Any vegetable can be used for the corn and celery, depending on your preferences.
Top Review by Engrossed
This was very good. I used bowtie pasta, omitted the celery and added salt. The sauce filled my largest skillet so I had to mix it with the pasta in the pasta pot. It was good with and without the cheese. I think it would be good with cottage cheese also. I didn't care for the beans in this but that is probably personal taste. It was easy to make and it makes tons..I would say 8 plus servings...but my package of pasta was 17 oz. Made for Zaar Tag.
- 12 ounces whole wheat macaroni (or other small pasta like bowtie or rotini)
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to directions on package, reserving a little bit of pasta water.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, add ground beef and cook about 5 minutes, until meat is not quite cooked through.
- Add onion and garlic, and saute about 2 minutes.
- Add celery, corn and kidney beans, cook about 2 minutes, or until corn is thawed.
- Stir in tomato paste, add diced tomatoes, italian seasoning and paprika.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 5-10 minutes to let flavors combine.
- Stir cooked macaroni and reserved pasta water into beef and tomato mixture and serve.
- Top with shredded cheese if desired.