Recipe by FloridaNative
This hearty beef and vegetable soup can be found in many areas of Europe. This satisfying rendition has chunks of beef and potato, plus peppers, onions, garlic, and hints of caraway and paprika. Recipe is from a friend and posted for ZWT6.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs boneless bottom round roast, cut into 1-inch cubes (lean and deboned)
- 2 cups diced plum tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups vertically sliced red onions (thin wedge-style slices)
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups peeled and cubed red potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3⁄4 cups beef broth (14 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add beef, browning on all sides. Remove beef from pan.
- Add tomato, onion, bell pepper, and garlic; sauté 10 minutes.
- Return beef to pan; stir in potatoes and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until the beef is tender.
- Serve with a hearty bread and butter.
- This can be served over mashed potatoes, cooked egg noodles or rice.
- NOTE: follow directions through step 3, add all ingredients to crock-pot and cook on low heat for 4 hours.