Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
My Grandson has a dairy allergy, but we wanted to see how he liked waffles so we came up with a nice easy vegan recipe. HE LOVED IT! There are so many variations with this as well.
- 2 cups gluten-free flour (this is easy to use with Whole Wheat Flour as an option as well)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups hemp milk (almond, soy, rice, breast, or any other dairy free milk are options)
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄3 cup Smart Balance light butter spread
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (maple extract would be good as well to give the syrup flavor if you don't add syrup)
- 1. Preheat waffle iron to desired temperature.
- 2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar; set aside.
- 3. Stir in the milk, butter and vanilla. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture, add applesauce; beat until blended.
- 4. Ladle the batter into a preheated waffle iron. Cook the waffles until golden and crisp. Serve immediately.