Recipe by auzzi
The mixture has the consistency of a thick batter rather than a dough. This recipe uses an electric mixer to prepare the batter.
Top Review by Sassy Sarah
Excellent, easy recipe! I just started gluten-free and I love that this bread has a sponge-y texture like bread with gluten. I cannot have dairy, so I left out the powdered milk but used almond milk in place of the water. It turned out great and it did not take a long time to make (compared to regular gluten yeast breads that take hours to let rise). I will probably play with this recipe in the future and try adding other gluten free whole grains like amaranth and quinoa, etc. Thanks for the recipe
So I just wanted to add a note that I modified it. I decided to use oat flour instead of the brown rice flour and I used white rice flour instead of the cornstarch and I added a 1/4 cup of molasses to the to the total liquid measurement (subtract 1/4 cup from the total amount of liquid originally stated. So, this made a delicious oatey-molasses bread. Celiacs could use certified gluten free oats if they wanted.
- 2 1⁄2 cups brown rice flour
- 2⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 2⁄3 cup powdered milk
- 3 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups warm water
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 large eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F [180°C].
- Lightly grease a 9x5-inch [23x12.5cm] loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together water and yeast.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift then whisk dry ingredients to combine.
- Add yeast mixture, vegetable oil and eggs.
- Using an electric mixer, mix dough for 5 minutes on medium-high speed.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Lightly grease a sheet of plastic wrap and cover the pan.
- Allow dough to rise for 1 hour in draught free area.
- Bake for 55 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven and cool in the pan for five minutes.
- Turn onto a wire rack to cool.
- Cut and store as you desire.
- Variation: Cinnamon Raisin Bread - Mix 2 teaspoons cinnamon with the dry ingredients and add 2 teaspoons vanilla extract with the wet ingredients. Before spreading batter into pan, stir in 1/2 cup raisins. Bake as above.