Recipe by NoThyme2Cook
This is so easy you won't believe it! It's a remake of an old favorite. We love this with butter and tomato slices. Or with butter and onion slices. Or both. Or with butter and fruit preserves. Or with molasses. We just LOVE it however we can get it!
Top Review by RandomGravy
I like this recipe - it reminds me of the cornbread they served in the cafeteria circa 1970. I am guessing this is a traditional cornbread recipe that happens to be gluten free rather than a modern adaptation. You can toast the leftovers.
- 1 cup gluten free cornmeal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven and medium iron skillet to 400*F.
- When the skillet is hot, mix all the ingredients, adding the baking powder last.
- Add the tablespoon of oil to the middle of the skillet and pour the batter into the center of the hot oil.
- Bake about 35-40 minutes until the top is very brown and crisp-looking. The hardest part of this recipe is to get the bread done in the middle. If you you let it get really brown and crisp on top, the center will be perfect!