Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 mins
I usually make my glazed carrots with fresh baby carrots, butter, and honey. However, tonight I needed a quick side to go with my Easy One Pot Lentils and Rice. I did not have any fresh carrots or honey on hand (I need to get to the grocery store!) but I had a can or organic sliced carrots and some brown sugar. I decided to add raisins, because my 18 month old dd LOVES them, but cannot eat them unless they are chopped or cooked. (due to the fact that they are a major choking hazard) This is what I came up with. I served the lentils and rice as a rice ring, and served it with the carrots and raisins in the middle. (lifted out of the pan with a slotted spoon) My family really enjoyed it, and the kids appreciated the presentation! Whatever works to get them to eat healthy! ;o)
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 (15 ounce) cansliced carrots
- Put raisins into a small saucepan, add hot water. and let stand 5 minutes to plump raisins slightly.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse the carrots.
- Add brown sugar, butter, and salt to the pan and stir to dissolve sugar.
- Bring glaze to a boil over medium-high heat and cook 1 minute.
- Add carrots to glaze and toss to coat.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes uncovered. You can serve the carrots at this point, but the longer they simmer, the thicker the glaze gets and the sweeter the carrots get.