Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Not your typical gingerbread cookie! These soft gingerbread combine butterscotch jello with the taste of ginger to create an easy and simple cookie! A kid's favorite!
- 6 ounces fat free sugar-free instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Cream pudding and pie filling mix with butter and sugar; add egg, and blend well.
- Combine flour, baking soda, ginger, and cinnamon; blend into pudding mixture.
- Chill dough for 1 hour or until firm.
- Roll dough on a floured board to about 1/4 inch thickness and cut with cookie cutter.
- Place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350F for 10 to 12 minutes. (I do 10 minutes, I like a softer cookie).
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
- Decorate if desired.
- Note: Cookies are soft, but will begin to harden up overnight. Less cooking time keeps them softer a little longer. Store cookies in container for best results.
We enjoyed these, but I had a lot of issues. I halved the recipe since I had the smaller box of fat-free butterscotch pudding. That calls for half an egg, so I used what would have been half an egg of egg substitute. However, when I put it all together it was so crumbly it wouldn't combine at all, so I added the "other half" of the egg. I left this in the fridge for a few hours. There was no way I could roll it out though, so we rolled them into balls, smushed them in our hands, and rolled them in sugar. They taste fine and we are enjoying them. Thanks for a neat thing to try that uses up something in my pantry!