Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
An easy recipe to make gingerbread men. The amount of cookies you make will depend on the size of the cookie cutters you use.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cream shortening and brown sugar together.
- Add molasses, buttermilk, and eggs.
- Blend well and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, sift flour, ginger, baking soda and salt together.
- Combine this mixture into buttermilk mixture.
- Mix well, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 400º for 10 to 12 minutes.