Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Serve this amazing cake with whipped cream. If you prefer an extreme stronger spice flavor then increase all spices by about 1/2 teaspoon. You can even add in raisins to this if you desire. This is taken from my "Holiday Favorites" folder.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup hot water (about 160F)
- whipped cream
- Set oeven to 350 degrees F.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Grease and flour a 9-inch baking dish (knock out any excess flour, can also bake in a 13 x 9-inch pan).
- In a bowl sift together flour, baking soda, spices and salt.
- In another bowl using an electric mixer beat oil and sugar until well combined (about 4-5 minutes).
- Beat in egg and molasses until well combined (about 2 minutes).
- Gradually add in flour mixture until combined.
- Add in HOT water, beating until smooth.
- Transfer batter to prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Cool on pan for 10 minutes, then invert to a rack to cool.
- Serve with whipped cream.
This is a very tasty, dark, cake-like gingerbread. I held back one star because I had to put it back in the oven for an extra 25 minutes. I think this would have baked properly in a 9"x13" pan in about 35 minutes and I will try that next time. Thanks Kittencal.