Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is the easy way out for potato salad, when you're not in the mood to cut up potatoes. This was demonstrated at the Southern Living Cooking Show in Orlando a few years ago.
- 3 1⁄2-4 cups frozen potatoes, such as Ore-Ida cottage fries (found in the frozen section next to tater tots) or 3 1⁄2-4 cups waffle-shaped French fries (found in the frozen section next to tater tots)
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 6 slices bacon, minced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup tarragon vinegar or 1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 hard-cooked eggs
- paprika, to garnish
- Place frozen potatoes and cold water in covered skillet; cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until fork-tender; drain.
- Meanwhile, in skillet, cook bacon until softened; add celery and onion and cook until bacon is crisp and celery golden. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Spoon off excess fat, reserving 2 T bacon drippings in skillet; blend in flour,sugar,salt and celery seed. Add water and vinegar; cook while stirring until smooth and thickened.
- Add bacon and celery. Gently fold this mixture into the hot, well-drained potatoes. Turn into a 1.5 quart bowl. Garnish with hard-cooked egg slices and sprinkle with paprika.
Inow give this a full five stars; the submitter agreed with my earlier assessment that the onions are a needed ingredient and added them to the recipe. Give this one a try. This recipe was a hit at a potluck. I used the automatic calculator to make 24 servings, and it was perfect.