1/3 Photos of Easy General Tso's Chicken
Cat from Charlotte's Note:
We LOVE Chinese food and General Tso's has long been a favorite. However the high fat content of the regular version in a restaurant isn't always a great option. This is a moderately spicy version of the recipe. Reduce the ginger, garlic, scallions or red pepper flakes as your tastes desire. You can also substitute higher calorie options, such as regular sugar for the Splenda, or vegetable oil instead of Pam cooking spray.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup chicken broth, canned
- 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute (or regular sugar)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pam cooking spray (you may substitute vegetable oil)
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (for spicy chicken, use sparingly if you don't like too much spice)
- 2 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts (uncooked, cut into 1-inch cubes)
- rice (2 servings, prepared)
- 1Whisk together broth, Splenda (or sugar), soy sauce, vinegar and ginger. Set aside. Wait until just before pouring over the meal to add in the cornstarch. (Otherwise it gets gloopy and slugdy.).
- 2Spray a wok or non-stick skillet liberally with Pam (or drizzle in some vegetable oil to coat the bottom). Add scallions, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- 3Add chicken and brown. Use more spray (or oil) if necessary to assist with the browning. Cook about 5-8 minutes. The chicken should be almost done before you add the sauce.
- 4Add cornstarch to your sauce bowl (put together in step one) and whisk to create a slurry. Add to your chicken in the pan and heat until boiling, then reduce to a simmer. The boiling of the sauce will cause the cornstarch to thicken. Soon it will be as thick as the General Tso's sauce you're used to!
- 5Serve over rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy General Tso's Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (580 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.8
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 75.5 mg
- Sodium 1932.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 30.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar