Found this in among my torn from magazines recipes. I served it with a mix of steamed broccoli, cauliflower and carrots with cheese sauce and pan fried potato slices. Would also go well with a simple tossed green salad and tomatoes.
- 4 single chicken breasts
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter (at room temp,soft but not melted)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (use more if you like)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil (I use Rice Bran Oil here in New Zealand)
- Pre heat the oven to 180'C/350'F.
- Mix together until well combined the butter, basil and garlic.
- Cut a deep cut along each chicken breast to make a pocket.
- Fill pockets with the butter mixture, pressing in well.
- Carefully dip each breast into the beaten egg and then into the dried breadcrumbs, pressing on well.
- You can now either leave on a flat plate in fridge for 20 mins or longer to set crumbs or cook straight away depending on what time you have.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan over medium high heat and fry the chicken breasts for 2-3 mins each side or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and place in a baking paper lined shallow baking dish and bake in oven for about 10 mins until cooked through.