Recipe by justcallmetoni
These are my quick fix bran muffins. A little bit different from the wealth of bran muffins aready posted. These a light sweetness from the molasses and syrup that is nicely accented by the fruit. You can use any dried fruit you like in any 1/2 cup combination. My favorite is equal parts currants, apricots and plums (not prunes). Cranberries and apricots work well, or dates and raisins, or... You get the idea.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon plain nonfat yogurt or 1 tablespoon soy yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or 2 tablespoons barley malt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup skim milk or 1 cup soymilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups natural bran
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup dried apricots or 1⁄4 cup dried plum, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat 400 degrees.
- Lightly spray muffin tins with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mix together the oil, yogurt, milk, brown sugar, barley malk, molasses, egg whites and bran. Let sit for 2 minutes.
- In a smaller bowl combine the flours with the baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Fold in the flour mix and dried fruit into the liquid bran mixture. Mix until combined, taking care not to over mix.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake 18-20 minutes.