Prep 8 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are my quick fix bran muffins. A little bit different from the wealth of bran muffins aready posted. These a light sweetness from the molasses and syrup that is nicely accented by the fruit. You can use any dried fruit you like in any 1/2 cup combination. My favorite is equal parts currants, apricots and plums (not prunes). Cranberries and apricots work well, or dates and raisins, or... You get the idea.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon plain nonfat yogurt or 1 tablespoon soy yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or 2 tablespoons barley malt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup skim milk or 1 cup soymilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups natural bran
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup dried apricots or 1⁄4 cup dried plum, diced
- Preheat 400 degrees.
- Lightly spray muffin tins with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mix together the oil, yogurt, milk, brown sugar, barley malk, molasses, egg whites and bran. Let sit for 2 minutes.
- In a smaller bowl combine the flours with the baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Fold in the flour mix and dried fruit into the liquid bran mixture. Mix until combined, taking care not to over mix.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake 18-20 minutes.
Great muffins. Added apple sauce. The next time I will add more dried apricots. Made small and big ones. A must make again. Killer just loved these. Small ones are for him.
Made this using plain yogurt and vanilla soy milk. I added some grated orange zest to the mix which was a lovely combination with the apricots and raisins. I used Splenda Brown Sugar Blend for the brown sugar. I think that the batter could have used a little more moisture. These make a dense, high fiber muffin. My yield was 10 muffins
Great muffins! I used a heaping tablespoon sour cream in place of yogurt, and used 1 extra large egg in place of the egg whites, I had to increse the brown sugar as it was not sweet enough (just personal preference) I used raisins and dried apricots, they baked out really nicley with a wonderful taste. Thank you Toni!...Kitten:)