Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
An easy to make fruit loaf using sultanas or a mixture of dried fruits. Serve buttered with tea or coffee for a change from cookies.
- 473.18 ml water
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 473.18 ml sultanas or 473.18 ml mixed dried fruit
- 56.69 g butter
- 709.77 ml flour
- 4.92 ml mixed spice
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- Heat gently together in a pot on stove top the water, sugar, dried fruit and butter until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes then stir in flour and spices and baking soda.
- Pour into a large loaf pan which has been greased and floured or bottom lined with baking paper and bake at 350'F for 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool in tin for 10 minutes then tip out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Serve cut in slices and buttered.
Wow -- this is so good! I used a package of mixed dried fruits from the market, and as I didn't have any mixed spice, I found a list of the ingredients in it and made some up from spices in my pantry. The fruit loaf was even more delicious the day after I made it -- so moist and dense, but not heavy. I made two -- one for us and one for a holiday platter, cutting that loaf up into bite-sized squares. As one of my kids said, "It's sort of like a fruitcake, except that regular fruitcake is too sweet and has some yukky stuff in it. This one is great!" It also got terrific reviews from all the adults -- thanks for sharing your recipe.
This is a fabulous recipe as not only a loaf but also muffins. The only alteration I made was to halve the sugar content to 1 cup not 2. Today I am going to try it with fresh fruit added with the dry ingredients instead of using dried fruit. Will let you know the outcome. Smiles JM :o)
mmmmm!!!! this recipe is lovley,i honestly thourght i had some dried fruit in my cupboards but only to find my sons raisens i thourght hey lets give this a shot....and voila beautiful fruit loaf VERY EASY,HIGHLY RECOMMENDED,and i didnt have mixed spice so i used wait for it....tea masala that is used in indian chai or tea!! very scrumpchous!!!!