Recipe by Anu
This is my version of the fruit juice pudding recipe on the Minute Tapioca box. I omitted the sugar from the original recipe which I think is rather unnecessary. Topping the pudding with corn flakes adds a great crunch. Also add chopped nuts and dried fruit if you like. Note: Prep. time includes time taken for cooling.
Top Review by Nose
The flavor is more like a gelatin dessert than tapioca pudding with milk and egg. The cereal topping is a great idea -- the mellow sweetness of the corn cereal was a lovely compliment to the tangy pudding. I didn't have cornflakes, so I crumbled some Crispix cereal on instead. I used an orange-pineapple-strawberry 100% juice blend. It was already a bit tart, but when cooked down, it was more intense, so I can see that with some juices added sugar might be good. The contrast of the corn topping evened it out well, too, though.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons minute tapioca
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup pure unsweetened apple juice or 1⁄2 cup unsweetened orange juice (or any other fruit juice)
- 1⁄2 cup corn flakes
- sliced fruit, for topping (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix tapioca, salt and fruit juice in a small saucepan.
- Let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Cook on medium heat stirring constantly until mixture comes to a full boil.
- Remove from heat (The pudding thickens as it cools).
- Cool 20 minutes, and stir.
- Top with corn flakes and fresh fruit for a yummy, healthy snack.
- You can have this warm or chilled-- I like it chilled!