Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
My uncle was a torturer of young children. He was in high school when my brothers and cousins and I were in grammar school. He would tell us that tapioca pudding was made from frog's eyes and none of us would eat it so he ate the entire bowl himself. He also told us that Jell-o was made from pony bones to scare us from eating it. So here is the version of instant tapioca pudding my mother and grandmother would make which is adapted from the Kraft Minute Tapioca box- Frog's eyes are optional.
- 2 egg whites
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons Splenda granular (or all sugar)
- 6 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- zest of a lemon, finely chopped (optional)
- Beat the egg whites until foamy and gradually add in the sugar.
- Mix the tapioca, splenda, half and half and yolks in a saucepan and let rest for 5 or 6 minutes. Cook on medium heat stirring constantly and let it come to a full boil and remove from heat.
- Stir in the egg whites, add vanilla and zest and let cool for 20 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
- NOTE: You can guild the lily by topping with whipped cream. Mmmm.