Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
If you like a light, crispy coating on your fried shrimp, so you taste shrimp, not batter, this is the recipe for you. My Mom always fried shrimp like this. It's so easy and tastes wonderful.
- 1 lb fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 box saltine crackers, crushed
- 2 -3 eggs, beaten with fork
- Peel, devein and wash shrimp.
- In a medium bowl beat eggs with a fork until well blended.
- Put shrimp in eggs and mix so all shrimp is coated with eggs.
- Put saltine crackers in plastic bag and crush with rolling pin.
- Don't roll them too fine.
- Heat oil in pan.
- Add shrimp to the cracker crumbs, a few at a time and coat well.
- Drop into hot oil and fry until golden brown.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Do not over cook as this toughens the shrimp.
- The amount of crackers and eggs you use depends on the amount of shrimp you want to fry.
- The more shrimp, the more crackers and eggs.
- Preparation time also depends on the amount of shrimp you are frying.
This recipe was fantastic in both it's simplicity and it's results. Crunchy, crispy fried shrimp that tasted like shrimp, not breading! A must try recipe.
This recipe couldn't be quicker or easier. I did crush the crackers fairly fine, but not to a powder. And the salt on the crackers gave a good result since I like salt. I might suggest than you could add your own herbs or spices to the cracker crumbs to suit your own taste. I made a pound of shrimp and about half of it did not get eaten immediately. I threw the remainder into a 375 degree oven later on and they heated up nice and crispy in about three or four minutes without toughening the shrimp at all. I would highly recommend this recipe.
Your description couldn't be more true. This is a wonderful coating for shrimp! A+ Thank You for posting.