Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Great for Christmas morning as you make it the night before and pop it in the oven for about an hour. It's really yummy and SO EASY! There are a few other french toast casserole dishes here, but none quite like this one. My friend Kathy made this for a ladies brunch/book club and everyone loved it. I had to have the recipe!
- 1 loaf French bread
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- powdered sugar
- The night before: Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Break up half the bread by tearing or cutting into 1 inch or so cubes.
- Scatter cubed cream cheese over the top.
- Top with the remaining bread, also broken or cut into cubes.
- Sprinkle with the cinnamon and the sugar.
- Pour maple syrup over the top (the real stuff always tastes better!).
- Pour the beaten eggs over the top next.
- Cover with foil and place in the fridge overnight.
- The next day: Preheat oven to 350°F
- Bake uncovered 45-60 minutes, depending on your oven and how mushy you like your french toast.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
Made this for Easter brunch '09. It was a huge HIT! I added some fresh blueberries on top, and it was delicious, beautiful and festive looking! I also used the "real" syrup. Lots of $$ but, wonderful!
My oven cooks hot - so the top was crunchy and hard, but the bottom was great. I used more cinnamon and sugar - probably close to triple the called for amounts. I would put the sugar and cinnamon in the "middle" with the cream cheese. I also think I should have "packed" down the bread more. Mine didn't really look like the picture with the recipe. Good flavor though - not too sweet.
This was easy to make and very good. I actually liked it cold later in the day more than when it was right out of the oven! I followed the recipe exactly and the only change I would make would be to either omit the cream cheese or cut it into thin slices rather than cubes. It would have been better had it been more spread out in the dish. However, I definitely liked the recipe and I will surely make it again.